Monday, March 3, 2014

Texas Independence Day

Today is Texas Independence Day and I leave this beautiful state in just 4 days. There are a countless number of things I will miss about my home - family, friends, landscape and good ole southern hospitality to name a few. One of the greatest things about Texas has left this world - my father. Exactly one month ago my dad died in a tractor accident. He has given me all a daughter could ask for - he loved me with a love that was so large. He was a proud father and supported my choice to accept my Peace Corps invitation despite the lack of benefits to him. His biggest apprehension was this commitment meant I would be living in the other part of the world for a long time. Despite his fear for my safety and his inability to be at my side in a moment's notice, he saw the passion in my eyes and desire in my heart that this was the next step in God's path for me. I like to think that he has an even better eye on me and a protective hand in Heaven.  "He was the biggest, baddest, loudest, and the most loving, passionate, generous man" but most importantly my dad. He was also the man that inspired my last post as he never would say goodbye. I was hoping to see him when I got back from this adventure, but I will just have to see him later in Heaven. For everyone else the next time I post might just be in Namibia! Off to New York now for my staging (orientation) date!!

2 comments:

  1. Your dad sounds like an amazing man and you will do him proud on this adventure, and yes he will be watching over you in Heaven. See ya later and I look forward to reading your next update on here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My deepest condolences! May your father rest in piece and continue to shower you wth love from above while you embark on this wonderful journey. Safe travels! ACS is proud of you ;)

    ReplyDelete