Saturday, November 1, 2014

Little Things Make Big Difference

              So my last blog was quite lengthy. I will try to make this one shorter or have several short posts. First, I am doing much better now. Last blog I shared that, “The spark of this adventure actually resulted from my frustrations and exhaustion at site which I will divulge in my next blog.” Well, this is my next blog now! So as my blog title says “Little Things Make a Big Difference” and little things built up at site that broke me down slowly and I didn’t have the same support system here as I did in The States. I now realize I do have amazing support among my fellow Group 39mates, I was just not utilizing them. And of course I have you lovely people back home, whom I am constantly reminded how much of a blessing it is to have you all. Thank you for being so amazing.
C.G.H.S. Girl's Club
                In a previous blog, I discussed my future plans of “getting hospital staff involved with the gym”. Well, getting people involved in gym here is probably as equally difficult as it is in The States. I tried extending hours of the gym and only one person showed. I was too tired to motivate, but I am feeling more energized and trying again this November. I will start Girl’s Club at a different school starting next term which begins in January. The HIV Teen Support Club is being tabled to a later time because there was difficulty involving these individuals. Other projects have occurred, but simple projects can be very strenuous and disappointing due to the lack of collaborative effort in the workplace.
                  Another tiresome regular event is receiving unwanted attention. I became bitter and defensive as I began to feel like an object of either sex or money. Many men just want me as another mark on their list and it doesn’t matter if they are dating, engaged or married. The same happens back home, but men make their intentions much more clear here. Every day I also hear from children “owe me dollar”. These little things every day take a bit out of me. But then, I got good at ignoring the men or approaching the situation differently. Also, my site mate gave me a different perspective and informed me that children often just want attention. I now give high-fives or stickers or just chat to those asking for money. I think I have gotten better at ignoring men or being frank with them how uninterested I am and that seems to work.

As for the Damara man, we are back together. There were some cultural differences we had challenges over and it took breaking up to settle these differences of what one was willing to stand for and the other willing to give up, but ultimately we’re a good team. I am not planning to give any more personal dating updates, so email me if you have interest or more questions.

So I have shared the difficult things, but the little good things make all the difference. Sometimes I get hugs from little children I don’t know. People talk in plural and present continuous form often: “Hellos”, “I am coming now” (which actually means you are leaving), and “How are we?” (between only two people). There are not many vehicles, so seatbelts are not really enforced. I am all for it in The States and in higher traffic areas, but I must say I do enjoy this freedom! It is normal to see donkey carts as a normal form of transportation. On the road, there are warning signs for warthogs, elephants and kudus which definitely is not the normal back home. Family is family, in people’s mother tongue there is not a word for cousin and only brother or sister. I like the closeness this brings, but then people also call their close friends brothers or sisters, so that can be confusing. Ultimately, I enjoy the connection between everyone. Namibia is a beautiful country with beautiful people and I look forward to discovering more within them both. 

2 comments: