Monday, April 21, 2014

Special Days

Thursday, April 17th
        Today is my brother's 25th birthday! I know he won't see this, but be told by someone, but oh how I love him and am so proud of where he is in life. He has become a very respectable man, a loving husband and a caring father- all by 25!! I know he will strive to be better and do more. I am honored to be your sister.
        This upcoming week also holds two other lovely birthdays- my sister and my mother. Earth Day holds a special place in my heart as my big sister, kind of second mom and one of my best friends was born. I am glad you continue to pave the path for me as I observe your steps in life and often times choose another which I know can irritate you;) I love you dearly and I know we will continue from each other through challenges ahead.
         My dear dear mother, anyone that knows her is aware of the rare presence they are blessed with. She holds an attitude and respect much different than most and often something I strive for. She deserves to be celebrated for absolutely fantastic woman she is.
         Another shout out should also go to the newest addition to the Whittaker Family, my nephew, as he will be baptized in 10 days. I am saddened by the fact that I will not be there physically to support this event in his life, but am reassured that he has many other family to be there.

As there are current and upcoming important dates happening in the US, there are also a few events that have happened over the past couple of weeks. Last Friday, there was a verbal mid-evaluation exam on our respective language. The whole week, I felt like it was back to final exams in college. People were so stressed out. I had to laugh a little because even if we did not meet Peace Corps standards there were not any negative consequences. Group 39 overall performed quite well and many surpassed the guidelines of scoring Intermediate Low by end of training. I received Novice High+, so it was very close to end of training service standard but not quite. There were three Intermediate High scorers which is absolutely fantastic!

KKG has lost one learner, but she will thrive much better in Africaans and am very happy for this change for her. My trainer wants the remaining two to score Advanced by the end of training, but I believe he is being very hopeful. He is quite fantastic and theatrical with his teaching. He has an 8yr old and twin 2yr old girls and think this helps with teaching us. He is very patient with us and our girlish outbursts of laughter. He is also very silly which helps engage us more in the lessons.

Yesterday (April 16th), we all got to find out our site placements for the next two years! I will be living in the Kuenene region in the town of Khorixas. From what I hear this is the heart of the Damara people which is fantastic because my KKG will be utilized here! My host family has a farm outside this town. I will be working with The Ministry of Health at the Khorixas District Hospital. I will find out much more once I get there and share with you all:)
Site Announcements (Map of Namibia on Ground)

KKG Class Site Placements

2 comments:

  1. As always enjoyed the update. Beautiful words to celebrate your loved ones on their special days. Continued blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthdays to Taylo's loved ones!

    ReplyDelete