Tuesday, April 29, 2014

That One Dam Party

Thursday, April 24th
Today is my Mom's birthday as I wrote in my last post. Love you Mom!! Yesterday, all of the trainees left to go to shadow a volunteer. Ultimately the site we are visiting is near where we are going, but myself and two other trainees are now in Outjo. Their sites are far south, but I am lucky and Outjo is actually my shopping town. I have access to buy groceries and such, but it is just the closest largest town. The volunteer I am shadowing is actually taking me to my soon-to-be home, Khorixas, which is about 200km away tomorrow.

Last Friday, Good Friday, we still had class but it was only 2hrs of language and then our awesome social committee organized a braii at a dam nearby. It would of cost N$70 for the entry fee into the park, but PC covered the costs as a surprise and we each gave N$50 for the cost of food. I got so enthusiastic of leaving town I felt like a little kid on a field trip. We all got into the combis and even sang some road trip songs - it was only a 5-15min ride which did not allow us anytime to get bored on the road which was perfect! It was a beautiful small little lake formed by the dam and surrounded by mountains (big hills). Myself and two other volunteers swam to the other side. I forgot how much I enjoy being in the water! It brings me so much joy and I am reminded how I have always been attracted to be around and especially in the water. It also made me reminisce about all of the good times with my family at Lost Praire Lake, Inks Lake, Canyon Lake and more. We have had a lot of fun times in unsalted waters. One of our trainers was the braii master and cooked all the meat with some assistance. A braii is just what they call BBQs here. We ate chicken, some red meat, potato salad, green salad, and bread. It was so very nice. I also got to throw a football around for a bit. I ended the day very satisfied, my body was exhausted from the sun, swimming, and football. Absolutely fantastic!


This trip was also one of the few times that I have actually been in a car since I have arrived in Namibia. My house is in walking distance from the training center so I walk every day to wherever I need to go. The main town is within a mile radius it seems. Within that radius there are a multitude of grocery stores including Spar, Spes Bona, Shop Rite, Mega Save, Pick-n-Pay and several more. There are a couple of farm market selling spots around town also. Three of the five places the trainees live are within a 3mile distance apart from each other. Long point made short-everything is centrally located. My host dad has two cars in which he takes to work or on various trips. I receive a ride when we go to church together. I have ridden in a taxi once with my host sisters to a church youth choir concert and several times caught a ride with someone's friend. It actually surprised me that despite proximity a lot of people don't walk if it is not within a mile and pay the standard fee of $10 to be taken home or wherever. We volunteers actually walk a lot and some host families have commented saying we walk too much, but I think it gives us the freedom to go where we want. It is unfortunate that trainees that live in Nau Aib or Vetersdaul must take the combi home as it is a far walk and can be unsafe. Tuesdays and Thursdays the combi takes them home an hour past class is let out so we can hang out together.
Delicious Braii Party Food
Time of PST is winding down and we have grown a bond with each other. I have to admit when we departed for our site visits yesterday, I was a little sad. Very soon it will be a much longer departure and the comfort of Americans everyday will be gone. I do have one health volunteer in Khorixas so it will be nice to have him show me the town and have someone from a similar culture to relate to.

1 comment: